Friday, October 18, 2013

Instant Oatmeal vs Instant Oatmeal

We've all heard expert tips to select items with the least ingredients on the package when grocery shopping. For the most part, I try to do this, so I was shocked: "SHOCKED, I tell you!" to discover that my healthy instant, pre-packaged oatmeal had 30+ ingredients listed. Really, you too oatmeal...

Anyway, right next to the pre-packaged stuff in my cupboard sits a box of Irish Oatmeal that I use for baking breads and such. There was only one ingredient listed on the McCann's box: 100% whole grain Irish oats. So I made my own instant oatmeal. Breakfast took under 3 minutes (including the prep time) sand it was delish! So I don't think we'll be restocking the prepackaged stuff again.

My Instant Oatmeal: 1/2 cup Irish oats, Organic, sun-dried Goji berries, 1 TBS locally grown honey, ground cinnamon and ginger to taste and 1 cup water. 1.5 minutes in the microwave. I'd share a picture of my oatmeal, but ate it hours ago. So here's a photo of the ingredients (not counting the water).
 
 
The recipe on the box calls for 1/2 a cup of the oatmeal and 1 cup of water. Cook in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. I added the Goji berries to the oatmeal prior to cooking it and then stirred in the rest of the ingredients when it was done.
 
However you decide to flavor it; at least you'll know and can control what's in your oatmeal. Enjoy!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment