Thursday, August 22, 2013

Baby Steps

Day 7 since the universe spoke (Saturday, Aug. 17 blog).  I wrote yesterday morning about my lack of movement toward the "get moving" goal, in spite of my best intentions to live a healthier life. Well, Day 7 finds me up early, writing, paying bills and getting a head start on work. I should have just jumped on the treadmill first, but habits got in the way. I won't say that starting up my laptop first thing in the morning is a bad habit. It's how I make my living for the most part and having a strong work ethic is never a bad thing. But, for me... once I start in, I get immersed and pulling away becomes difficult. I managed to clear off the treadmill... but so far, that's the only "get moving" task I accomplished this morning. However, it's only 6:30 a.m. so there is still time.

Meantime, I took some baby steps yesterday that I hope to build upon. I managed to get up every hour or so and walk around the house at a brisk pace for 3-5 minutes each time. That's a big achievement for someone who loses track of time and forgets to get up unless there's a scheduled meeting or appointment or nature calls. But Wednesday, I did it. The first time, I walked for about 5 minutes. The second time was closer to 3 minutes, but I added the component of stretching and reaching up to touch the top of the arched entrance to the kitchen as I passed. So, walking briskly, then reaching up to touch first with one hand and then the other. The rest of my breaks (about 4 total in one afternoon) included the stretching component. I have to admit, it felt good to move around after sitting at my desk. There was the added benefit of clearing my mind and brainstorming while I was at it. So kudos to me.

My schedule is pretty booked today and tomorrow, so I won't be writing and working all day. But, I promise myself that if I find myself sitting at my desk for an hour, I will get up and move around. Baby steps. Another good thing I did yesterday, was I reached my goal of drinking 8 glasses of water. For those of you who already have a healthy lifestyle, I tip my hat to you and realize that what I am patting myself on the back for may not sound like much. But, for me, it's major! So I celebrate my baby steps.

Time to sign off if there's any hope of getting up on the treadmill. More later. OMG, this is the first image I came across when looking for something to illustrate today's message. Universe?

No comments:

Post a Comment