Saturday, August 31, 2013

Recipes!

Update: I finally used the treadmill! Yes, the poor thing is 5 years old and I can count on both hands the times I've used it (other than as an expensive hanger). So, yes! Shooting for three times a week. Baby steps, remember.

Another goal was to remember to get up from my desk at least once an hour. Progress there too, although there are still times I forget. Like yesterday, I didn't realize the time and when my husband got home from work at about 7 p.m., it had been 3 hours since I had last gotten up. Boy was I creaky, when I finally got up from my hard, uncomfortable kitchen chair (I was working at my breakfast table, rather than my desk.) But mostly, I'm remembering to get up. So, I'll chalk that on my success list.

Diet. This has to be put on my "challenge" list. Although I work from a home office, I've been extremely blessed with an abundance of work and, thus, haven't had time to cook. So, we've been eating out or take out. Plus, we went to two grand opening events at a new Bistro movie theater (free popcorn, beer & wine. We eat better (healthier) when I cook and last night, after eating leftover take out for dinner at about 9 p.m., I took my wilting basil and whipped up a batch of pesto. In the fridge. Done. Then I opened a can of garbanzo beans, rinsed them and made hummus with homemade Tahini. In the fridge. Done. I feel a couple of vegetarian dinners will be had this week, after two weeks of heavy and salty meals.

So today, I'm back on track. Menu done, grocery list done and no more eating out for dinner during the week. What's on the menu?

Fish tacos with Cabbage and Guacamole.

Caldo de Res with Corn Tortillas. Heavy on the vegetables, light on the fat. I would have made chicken, but overdosed on chicken during all those dining out meals and need a break.

Hummus with Pita Chips and Spinach Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette. Pitas, not home made, but baked into the chips.

Pesto Pasta with Caprese Salad and Toasted Baguette.

Pork Chops, Mexican Rice, Steamed Broccoli.

Here are some of my recipes.

Tahini:
4 Tbs. sesame seeds
1 Tsp. sesame oil
1-2 cloves garlic
Juice of 1/4 wedge, lemon
Mix in blender or food processor, slowly adding up to 1/2 cup of water.

Hummus
15 oz can Garbanzo (Chickpea) Beans, rinsed.
2/3 cup Tahini
2 garlic cloves
Lemon Juice to taste (I use the juice of half a lemon)
1 tsp garlic salt or sea salt (optional)
Place ingredients in the same blender/food processor used for the Tahini and process until smooth. Add additional water for a smoother consistency.

Basil Pesto
1 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil (or whatever you have on hand)
2 Cloves Garlic
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
3/4 Cup, Parmigiano Reggiano (finely grated)
Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed, Olive Oil
Process the first four ingredients in your food processor, blender or by hand in a mortar & pestle.
Slowly drizzle in the EVOO until you like the consistency.

Caprese Salad
Buffalo Mozzarella (sliced in rounds)
Vine-Ripened Tomatoes (sliced in rounds)
Fresh Basil
EVOO
Sea Salt to taste (optional)
Ground Pepper to taste (optional)
On a platter, layer the tomato, mozzarella and basil (basil can be torn or cut in thin strips or used whole)
Season with salt & pepper
Drizzle EVOO over it.
Serve with toasted baguette (Crostini)

Caldo de Rez
1 TBS Vegetable Oil (omit if you use a non-stick pot)
1-2 lbs beef shank  with bones, or stew meat
Salt to Taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 Onion coarsely chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1- 14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes with juice
1 Teaspoon Cumin
4 Cups Beef Stock, low sodium, low fat
4 Cups Water
2 Potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
3 Carrots, coarsely chopped
3 Celery, coarsely chopped
2 ears of corn, cut into small pieces
2 Calabasa or Zuchinni, cut in 1/4 inch rounds
1/2 Head Cabbage, cored and cut in quarters
Cilantro (optional)
Directions:
Set a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil, meat, bones, and salt and pepper to taste.
When the meat is browned, cover in water. Simmer for about 1 hour, until meat is tender. You will need to scoop out the foam as it cooks.
Remove the meat and toss out the water. (Optional) Cut the meat into bite size, but leave some meat on the bones. The marrow and bones are an important element in this soup. Set aside.
Add the onion, garlic, tomato, and cumin into the pot and cook about 5 minutes until tender.
Add the rest of the vegetables, except the Calabasa, Cabbage and Cilantro.
Add the beef and bones and beef stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer about until the vegetables are tender. (About 20 minutes)
Add the Calabasa, Cabbage and Cilantro and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Serve with lemon or lime wedges and hot corn tortillas.

I'd love to know if you try any of these recipes along with your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment