Thursday, August 15, 2013

Taking Care of Ourselves First

A lot of my friends have been revisiting their habits as it relates to healthy living lately. I know that it's been on my mind too and so discussion with the girls tends to head in that direction. Perhaps it's a top of mind focus because it's the beginning of a new school year or because we realize if we don't get started soon, the holidays will sneak up on us.

Whatever the reason, I'm pleased that our health is a hot topic right now. Living in deep South Texas we recognize that obesity is a (no pun intended) BIG problem! It's no wonder when we live in an area where hand-made, white flour tortilla tacos are sold in drive throughs, mini marts and even gas stations! In most other cities, having a restaurant offer hand-made, fresh flour or corn tortillas is a novelty and a real treat. Here they are not only common fare, they are cheap! These home-made style tacos run as little as 99 cents. And we still have all of the other fast food chains and convenience foods that are found everywhere else. There are a lot of other causes for the high obesity rate, and smarter people than I have done extensive research on this issue, but speaking for myself, those darn flour tortilla tacos are tempting and I have at least one a week.

Of the many health issues associated with obesity, one of the most destructive is diabetes. One of the problems is that many people don't realize they are pre-diabetic or that they have the disease because the symptoms can be attributed to other things: age, long work days, shrinking bladders, etc. It seems that everyone either has it, or knows someone who has it and it seems to not be that big a deal. Well, it is. In researching an article on women and heart disease (Lady Couture Magazine, February issue) I spoke with two cardiologist who both cited diabetes as the main cause for women's cardio-vascular disease in the Rio Grande Valley. But I digress. Today's blog isn't about obesity or diabetes; it's about women taking charge of our own health.
 
 

We care for everyone else, our children and spouses and even our parents. Why do we put ourselves last? If we fall ill, then we can't very well take care of our loved ones, can we? I can speak from my own experience:
·         I haven't had a general or gynecological check up in more than two years... maybe, probably longer.
·         I don't exercise regularly.
·         I often eat on the run or skip meals entirely.
·         I'm overweight but I'm not actively doing anything about it.
·         I remind my husband to schedule his checkups, but don't follow my own advice.

My friend, Lucy Lagaci, said it best: "We know what we should be doing. We've read all the books. But we can't seem to take that next step."

Lucy heads the Foundation for Mission Hospital and I serve on the committee with her that is planning the 6th Annual Ladies First Luncheon where, hopefully, we'll all be motivated to take charge of our own health. Save the date and plan to attend! So who's with me for taking the next step? I'd love to hear your comments and next step ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment