Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Freezing in Front of a Camera

I am not often asked about media coaching, although I've done it once or twice mainly to prepare someone to talk on-air regarding a crisis situation but a friend recently asked me to help her prepare for a new webinar series she was hosting. So, I gave her a crash course of pointers in the 45 minutes we had to visit. Big mistake. It was a case of too much, too fast. A little of this and that, but no opportunity to really coach her.

When I coach for an on-air interview in a crisis setting, the focus is on what to say and what not to say: don't answer hypotheticals, stay on message, be truthful, don't be afraid of dead air, are some examples. Secondary, but equally important, is how you appear on camera and there are some tips to help the audience stay focused on the message, rather than the messenger.

But for this web gig, I thought a quick overview would work because she would be speaking to a friendly cameraman about a subject in which she is expert. She didn't have to deal with the added pressure of being interviewed on live TV and especially in the midst of a crisis. But here's the thing; just because a person is a great speaker/presenter; is an expert in her field; and isn't facing tough media questions; doesn't mean that those great skills and attributes ensure she does a great job speaking on air, and especially, on camera.

There is something very intimidating about the impartial, cold stare of a camera lens that can topple even the most confident and talented individual.
 
 
Any nervous mannerisms are suddenly amplified, and the more conscious you are of what not to do, the more nervous and flustered you become. So my quick overview really did her more harm than good. I'll still give pointers when asked, but I will counsel that the person asking will be better served with a more comprehensive session. If you can afford it and are planning to be in front of the camera frequently, there are some very good resources and experts. My advice is helpful, but there are people out there who only or primarily deal with this one area. Contact me and I'll be happy to refer you.

Some people are born naturals in front of the lens. They glow and shine and are completely comfortable in front of the camera and it translates to the audience. But most of us aren't that lucky. So, if you are planning your own webinar or are creating a video presentation and, if I can only share one bit of advice, it's this: know your material inside and out. Then practice, practice, practice. And I mean practice in front of the camera, record yourself, and watch it. Check out how you did, where you can improve and how you can do better. Then practice some more. Keep at it. Then, and only then, should you tape your show for real.

Let me know how you do. I'd love to hear your feedback and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment