Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Universe is Speaking

I always say that things happen the way they are supposed to happen. I guess it's another way of saying that God not only has a plan for us, but in God's own time too.

I started writing about health and fitness not because I'm an expert, but because I need to take charge and responsibility for my own health and fitness. Anyway, I was up early today and ran out to the bank. On my way, I passed 8 women jogging, a dozen or more men and women cycling, a foursome golfing and a couple walking. I guess I see this often enough, but usually I only notice the cyclists and joggers to avoid hitting them with my car. But today I realized that these must be folks from the neighborhood, who obviously are active and health conscious. Hmmm.

Then, I kid you not, on my way back from the bank I saw a brand new pair of running shoes in the middle of the street along with the box they fell out of! No, I didn't stop to try and retrieve the shoes. There was a pretty fit-looking woman walking towards them and I hope that they were hers. I did have fun conjuring up stories to explain how the shoes got there, but I'll save that for another time.

Can the universe be any clearer in sending me a message?

Except for walking to and from my car in the garage (even the bank was a drive-through ATM), or back and forth from my desk to the coffee pot, my morning plan was to catch up on paperwork, get ahead on some of my writing, and work on some projects. I flashed on my treadmill, that, I'm sorry to admit is one of those used as a repository for clothing and bags. I purchased this expensive piece of equipment three years ago, the last time I was motivated to take charge of my health and fitness (come to think of it, that was probably the last time I had a check-up too). I bought it because my excuse for not walking was, "It's too hot here," or "I don't feel comfortable walking alone," and "Those mosquitoes are killers!" I was absolutely positive that the indoor treadmill was the answer. I could walk on it while reading or watching the tube (just like at the gym).
 
So why didn't I use it? It's embarrassing to share, but I must be totally honest: I don't like to sweat. It's that simple. Sure I could walk after dinner while reading or watching TV, but then I would have to shower and I like to shower in the morning and there's no way I would go to bed after working up a sweat walking. But mornings are hectic, or I don't want to wake up my husband with the sound of the treadmill, blah, blah, blah. BLAH!

I did do something that I can pat myself on the back for, although some may not think it's such a big deal. Usually, if I'm out running errands early on a Saturday, I'll swing by the taco joint for a breakfast taco or two. And, today I didn't. I came straight home. And, no, I didn't clear off my treadmill and jump right on it. My husband's still sleeping and Saturday is the one day he gets to sleep in, so I'm not going to disturb his rest. But the day is young and full of possibilities. And, with the universe practically clobbering me over the head with hints to get moving, I know something will happen. Things happen the way they are supposed to happen and at the time they are supposed to happen. Is this my time to put myself first. To get moving and take the next step towards good health and fitness habits? I'll keep you posted. Any suggestions? Please share, I welcome them! Really!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment